Tuesday 26 December 2023

On Being White




I began by competing with TV

loving the sitcoms

assuming I should look like them


talk like them

quick answer to everything

with a flick of my long blond hair


or thought

anything that came from me

was observation


and hopefully truth

being honest with myself

... it was the best I could do


until I learned there was so much

to learn and after all I didn't know

everything.


That's alright isn't it?

Until I listened to those

who came from somewhere else


like I came from England

full of confidence

until someone said


I have low self esteem

what does that mean?

Crash?


Depression flipped me upside

down and shut me up

until full of rage


I frightened myself

rushed out the door

leaving my children in bed


to go and find someone

to beat up!

No comments:

Post a Comment