Monday 6 March 2023

The Right Pronoun


Are you "He", "She", "They", "We", "Us" or "Them", "Innocent" or "Guilty", "Good" or "Bad"? It matters to some because we hear so many accusations as if it's all that matters. Is the "Media" God? When I judge others am I doing it as "God's" messenger? When was society a hierarchy? When did the family become the tribe of King or Queen? Or representatives of Church, Temple or Synagogue?

Should I even be writing this?

Personally I believe that if someone feels or knows they are male or female that's enough for me. I don't work in health care or education so I don't need to know.

I do need to be respectful to LGBTQ people because it is part of a functioning community. Also realizing that I don't need to make judgements on other people's lives if they are not hurting anyone is emancipating. I trust that most people are able to run their own lives. 

I remember some years ago waiting for someone in our car, a car opposite parked in front of a doctors office. A woman got out and a child I couldn't see started crying. I saw the man in the driver's seat turn around and hit him until the child screamed.  I knew I should do something but sat in my car. He kept hitting the child and the child screamed louder.

What made me freeze, not do anything? Did I think if I went over to the driver he would beat the child even more? Was it that I believed it was not done to interfere with a family I don't know? The child was quite small and the man was big. The child started crying as soon as the mother got out of the car.

Now I believe I would intervene even if it was just to say hello to the driver. Then think what else I could say after that, such as, the child is already afraid - you don't need to keep hitting her or him.  You are already much more powerful, much bigger. 

The hitting, the screaming, and my frozen conscience are all related.

I also recall in a different place and time, a man said when I questioned the behaviour of another worker, it's just the pecking order, as if that solved my concern.

No comments:

Post a Comment