Tuesday 31 January 2023

I think I understand why

 


When far right racist misogynist movements seem to be gaining power, I wonder what the cause is. Hegemony, capitalism, patriarchy, and all things that spout the same myth. Some are superior to others. But the greatest supporter of nihilist anti-democratic warmongering is the willingness of innocent people to withdraw in fear of expressing their own values.

We join groups that echo our own beliefs or blind spots. We know that greed and fear rule the world. We might easily fall into silence and disengage. The world is ruled by evil. Children who were abused who were alienated from loving adults will rebel against community and shared responsibility.

When all arguments have been spent there is little to be hopeful for.

Its so easy to be emotionally discouraged and believe that humans are evil. There is a mound of history revealing the evil of men who seek to rule the world and the violence they are willing to do for the sake of "glory" which is not glorious at all. But which creates cruel societies. Good, sensitive people have been traumatized by bullying egos creating empires of dysfunction. Groups formed with the best intentions become corrupted by one or two who lack integrity for the sake of gaining power. 

Really evil movements corrupt innocent minds and vulnerable people are bullied, taught they must get tough if they want to survive.

But for those who suffer we have the power to reveal the healing of support. Everyone suffers or has suffered. Its a universal experience. Most of us have experienced some love even if its brief. Those who are well and healthy can identify with or feel empathy for the sad, the lonely, the hungry and the abused.

I remember the first time someone made me feel worthy and lovable. It was like a drug, like I had been rescued. It was like living in a different world. Then I rejected that feeling and was sent straight back to the world of contempt.

It's taken me to my sixties to realize there are two worlds. The manufactured world and the natural world. Both of these have their dangers but now I see I have to be involved. I am not separate from the habits and struggles I endure. I am not "other". I am part of the whole who can suffer or give something of worth.

How many centuries has it taken to educate, to learn language and the power of words. How many mothers have exhausted themselves taking care of those they have given birth to or cared for? How many fathers have endured jobs that demean their worth to feed their families? Caregivers, nurturers, teachers, scientists, artists, builders are all involved, all contributors.

The truth is banal yet banality that keeps power in the hands of a few, ultimately destroys all. Capitalism, hierarchy, politics, has a duty to preserve and care for life. What we are witnessing now is the end of an empire and the next one must include the whole planet and everyone on it.


No comments:

Post a Comment