Monday 2 August 2021

Truth - What Is It?

 


I see comments on FB about truth. Mostly to do with political beliefs. The last I saw said "Science is the search for truth" not the immutable truth.

I once said to a young man - there are no Universal truths - he was offended and replied there is. We didn't get into a conversation about what that truth was but I supposed for him it was his church and God.

Which means that was my bias.

I also learned that arguing about truth can be a shattering experience. Unexplainable. Almost like asking someone how often they change their underwear.

Along the way I have become attached to certain "truths" and then changed them when I learned better. 

All living things change and grow or die. You don't have to prove that to me or anyone. However if I say all women think this way because I do, or all White European settlers have been trained to think this way, it's more than fallacy, it's harmful to those who are not included. And besides it's not true.

Truth could be thought of as your underwear - you are happy to wear them but no-one else needs to see them. However if you don't examine them regularly you could suffer.


No comments:

Post a Comment