Monday 22 March 2021

When Social Violence Rules the Headline

 



Who is the enemy? Today it might be drug gangs, thugs, homeless and isolated predators, or sly spiteful alienated neighbours. It's also, thanks to right wing media, and the words of people in leadership positions who have abdicated responsibility to a cheap popularity. 

Now I feel drained by all the violence being reported, all the racist, misogynist attitudes that I couldn't pin down, that hurt me regardless of whether it's directed towards me or the other.

I shall try to stay positive, be kind and loving.  I know that hating people because they are not like you, is dangerous to us all. Mostly because this excludes hope for the future. It destroys the kind of trust we need to build a future.

It seems that the voice of hatred is the voice of insecurity, not feeling heard or seen as the real person, the child seeking love and belonging, the parent seeking truth and shelter for the child, the adult seeking community.

No comments:

Post a Comment