Monday 17 February 2020

Are you a human or a consumer?


  1. Are you connected to a community?            
  2. Do you belong somewhere? 
  3. Do you have sympathy, empathy or compassion?  
  4. Do you care what others think of you? 
  5. Do you value people because of their character?  
  6. Do you value people because of their position and wealth? 
  7. Do you love art, music, sports, stories?  
  8. Do you keep on top of the news or listen to the news? 
  9. Are you only interested in computer games?  
  10. Are you only interested in competing with other people?
  11. Do you sometimes reflect on your choices? 
  12. Do you ever apologize?  
  13. Are you ever wrong? 
  14. Are you always right? 
  15. Have you ever felt sad or cried?
  16. Do you feel you've won when you get the last word or make someone cry?
These are some questions I ask myself as a member of the human family.  They are part of my responsibility as a human being. There are many others I have not listed here because of space and time.

As I listed these questions I was struck by how simple and shallow they are. These are the basic questions. The answer yes, no, sometimes, rarely or never should be considered too. 

The days bring more complex questions like where should I get my car insurance or did I remember to include my pj's in the laundry tub or who should I vote for?

But the basic questions I hope never to forget, never to be so wrapped up in excitement or fear—that after centuries of development and struggle I forget my own humanity.

No comments:

Post a Comment