Tuesday 17 May 2022

Counter Racist Attacks: Examine Your Views

 


1. What is race? Is it history, colour of skin or shape of eyes? When we see someone who does not look like us, do we know who they are? How many struggles they fought and overcame, how much money they earn or how much education they have? Is it what they wear? Hijab or kippah? Their hair shape or colour?

Truth is we don't know. It's a label passed down for generations. Any generalization - such as 'well organized', or rich - removes the reality of that particular individual as if knowing the heritage of someone means we don't have to know them personally. For example - a man who is white can operate on privilege and assume his views represent reality. Once I make a generalization I don't need to inquire, I assume.

This is a habit that's hard to break for me even as I know it's destructive. 

(a) Many of the Protestant English families who live in South of England have two children. (b)They are emotionally invested in material comfort and (c) two is perfect. A single child is alone, (d) two gives the child company without adding to the  population, (e) more than two is a sign they don't have access to contraceptives or that they are Roman Catholic, Muslim or Jewish.

Five assumptions I made without checking statistics. Generalizing is a habit I grew up with and believed it proved I was "informed". This is privilege. I cannot feel the harm I do by my assumptions.

Many years ago I stated innocently "I assume ..." and a friend said "You can't assume anything" meaning I would not be criminally charged but my opinion might not be right.

In the "White, Protestant, Christian world" - people express opinions. It's normal. Like saying "what a lovely sunny day" to a stranger passing, whose name and life I know nothing about.

These habits lead to statements like "everybody knows this" in response to news articles or group conversations.

The privileged live in the land of "Everyone Knows This!" The assumption that we are normal and what we believe is reality.

2. Poverty, Homelessness. If I have managed to earn enough for food and shelter then everyone can. I am not special.

I am not a recent immigrant but my accent is still English. Somewhat like the Duchess of Cornwall. There are people who don't like the English because of what we have done to colonial people. I personally am horrified, sickened, to hear of all this, but I must keep open to the pain my people have caused indigenous people, African people brought to Canada and US by slavery, minorities such as Jews and Muslims. I must also feel discomfort knowing that my father, brother, grandfather and uncles, have bullied their wives and mothers through male supremacy, without being aware of it.

3. My personal attitudes. Watching Ridley Road on PBS I am stunned that Nazi's were attacking Jews in the early 1960's. That it was dangerous to wear religious symbols that were not Christian. Not because the Crucifix is a better symbol than the Jewish star or the Muslim crescent moon but the assumption that Britain is a Christian nation. Yes there were public schools that used "The Lord's Prayer" during morning assemblies, but since Britain had colonized Canada, India, Australia - their people being part of "The Commonwealth" were "welcome" to live in England. Yet there are anti-immigrant sentiments in all these nations. Mostly expressed by settled white European people, who, like me, are ignorant of the pain "we" have caused while expressing our opinions with unearned confidence.

4. Education. Throughout my adult life I have wanted to learn more. My punctured ego likes the idea of adult education. Mostly because I want to believe my mind is educated. Having never been good at math, science, or sports, I have stuck with the arts. I learned that the arts are essential to our mental and economic health. For example I have been inspired by Thomas King's stories, the gut wrenching poetry of Patrick Lane, the gentle searing truth expressed in Jan Zwicky's poems, and others. I have also made fabulous friends through the arts. Apart from learning that I am not as smart as I thought I was, I began to rethink the beauty of the teachers who brought me out of my own dark assumptions. The idea that I don't know everything and I am not in control has been a welcome ointment for depressed and anxious soul.

Furthermore I have much gratitude towards African American and Canadian people, the Chinese immigrants, the Jewish people who were my teachers and doctors, and later my friends. My heart was saved by the Welsh, Scottish and Irish people who I noticed had songs, dance and poetry - while I couldn't identify this culture in the London area of England. 

Is the arts an overflow from the threat of the Capitalist hierarchy of this age that demands life becomes profit for a few? I do not blame the privileged and rich - they are also my friends. I do not blame the authoritarian politics. Blame is unaffordable in this age of so much hate and destruction. What this planet and all who depend on it really needs is friends, compassion and social justice. 

These cannot be found from my ego. I must own the problems that really scare me. The world is what we make of it. If we only want entertainment and fun, we cannot help to heal our world. If we only want things, community will die of neglect. If we only want wealth we shall be enslaved and become robots.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment