Saturday 13 March 2021

If No-one Cares - Who's Looking?


Reading some of today's newspaper articles and the comments that follow reveals a world suspicious of intelligence and kindness. It left me feeling as if violence is more valued than reason.

As a young student I was taught I had responsibilities toward the larger society. Being rude, conceited and offensive was punishable by detentions or notices to my parents who would scold me for bad behaviour.

But social and corporate media has many headlines that indicate, black lives, first nations, women, muslims and jews are open territory for being abused. Add to that, other-gendered besides hard masculine.

I attempt to be engaged in public discourse via letters and comments but my offerings never get printed. Possibly because there are too many submissions. But now reading the quality of posts that do get printed are often infantile, openly racist and sexist. Abusive comments dominate while a few thoughtful posts are there between the abuse if you can stomach wading through the swamp.

You could be forgiven for thinking humanity has lost its soul today, but I wonder who benefits from the deluge of hate and intolerance. Is it a means like the economy to erase humanity, art and emotion from history books just as blacks and women have been written out of history?

Is our society merely a list of winners, losers, and their battles?

If so, what do you think about this? Are you confident you will never be harmed by what's happening 'out there' because you are focused on what you can do. Are you confident that white men run the world and all will be well, so we don't need to think about the marginalized?

Do you believe that events known and unknown balance out good and bad?

Is caring out of fashion or worse, not even a thing?

How can I ask my relatives and friends to be kind and considerate if the world mirrors back indifference to their lives?

I need to remember the media sphere is a corporate task. The CEO has to make money for shareholders. The bottom line is the hungry ghost.

It doesn't represent a future or beauty or morality, it represents manipulation for profit.

As long as I believe in the kind of commerce where the powerful have singular goals, there is no true diversity and very little insight along with an exploited humanity.


No comments:

Post a Comment