Friday 9 October 2020

This Means That -- confusion in the late stage capitalist influence




Listening to The Current this morning I learned more about Bishop Michael Curry's sermon at the wedding of Prince Harry and Meghan Markle. The theme was about the power of love and I thought "Yes!" that's my team.

I am obsessed with how power affects our society because the major theme of the age I was born and raised in, was the power of authority.

I learned I had a duty to maintain control over my life and the way to do that was study how to be a success.

From my Mum, success for a woman was getting married to a man who would provide a home, for you to clean and live in with decency.

I learned about what a woman should be by watching TV sitcoms and dramas. At school I learned there were times when I could speak and times when I could not.

Mostly I learned that I must be lady-like, and to smile sweetly. I also learned that my parents were very busy and had a lot on their minds.

I learned that I was not top of the class in anything and there was nothing I could do well. Everything about me was either mediocre or dreadful (such as being too soft).

My family did not want me to fail so whenever I dissolved into tears I would be sent to my room — away from my people.

Whenever I expressed confidence I would be questioned "who do you think you are?"

So the lessons were (1) be more than attractive, be fetching; (2) have confidence in yourself but don't tell anyone; (3) don't speak of yourself; (4) don't attract any kind of attention except some quiet magnetic beauty so the boys will like you.

How could I be a success, how could I prove my worth, and still be lady-like? How could I defend myself against the office/school/playground without having some self-worth?

This is a much publicized query thanks to the feminist movement that managed to fight the exploitive capitalist colonialism of the world that has now pronounced the economy the only measure of worth.

Now there is something much deeper and more sinister about the rise of violence towards minorities, blacks and women. 

What is driving it? Is it a subconscious realization that white male supremacy will no longer be tolerated by the majority? Do the men who cradle guns and threaten to kill women in public office, simply fear they will lose something valuable if they can no longer threaten women? 

How do these men benefit from misogyny? Do they wake in the morning and think about who they can bully next? Do they hold tight to the notion they are superior because of their gender or do they fear that myths of supremacy have always been a lie?

Then there's the colour of skin, and sexual orientation. Are they frightened of what they don't know? Is there a creeping feeling that someone or something is controlling the world and they have no way of accessing what it might be? Will they survive? Is there a crack in the sky? Is there anything that makes sense in a society where nothing and no-one can be trusted and nothing can be predicted with certainty?

Yes, there is the love that kept children safe and fed until they were old enough to take care of themselves, the love of aging parents who are now vulnerable, love of two consenting adults to care for one another, the love of pleasure given and received, the love for leaders who are entrusted with power to make choices that protect all who depend on them.

Then there is the Bishop, a descendant of slaves and the author of Love is the Way: Holding on to Hope in Troubled Times.

No comments:

Post a Comment