Sunday 5 November 2023

When Criticism Becomes A Public Sport

 


When CBC radio reported the "fraudulent" claim of a celebrity which cannot be proven, what is the purpose of the report?

Shaming seems to be a public sport for media, politics and celebrity. It's almost as though everyone's integrity is wrapped up in one article. It's also easy to think and feel as though our private lives are for public consumption. As though we are all characters in a Soap Opera.

Is every identity, every soul, merely a piece of meat for corporate media? Do we become insensitive to our loved ones as we watch TV shows that focus on winners and losers? Are we losers if we have no proof of being a winner?

If everything about me was headlined on the front page of a tabloid, would I lose my friends? If I claimed to be a Christian would opinion pieces about the failure of Christians give strangers the right to ridicule me? If I was rich would I be hated? If I was poor would I be publicly ridiculed?

If I was Jewish would I feel like a subject of blame because of Netanyahu's policies? If I was Palestinian would I feel damned by Hamas and Israelis.  Would I hang on every word broadcast by the media? 

Would any identity give permission to strangers to hate me? If I was related to a serial rapist would anyone dare to be my friend? Does public issues of blame give me a fleeting sense of superiority if I can judge another without letting them know?

How can I help heal this broken world of alienated egos blamed for everything a blogger might write or friends at a party might have a good chuckle over? What is being exploited here? What can we talk about without injuring anyone?

Imagine a world that valued life for life's sake, where people supported one another before expressing an opinion. What if my headstone had these words: Here Lies Janet Vickers, a mother, sister, daughter and friend, who had an interesting life, and was loved by a few people, but who was not known for any extraordinary talents or strengths. While she was here she was okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment