Saturday 24 March 2018

Statement from Kennedy Stewart on being arrested

Janet,
Today I was arrested by the RCMP for defying a court injunction as it applies to Kinder Morgan’s Burnaby Mountain facilities. I did so while standing with my community, Indigenous Leaders, and those from across British Columbia who oppose this new pipeline. Please read my full statement below. Together, we can stop Kinder Morgan.
In solidarity,
Kennedy
“Canadians have the constitutional right to peaceful protest especially when governments abuse power. During the last election, Justin Trudeau said that ‘while governments grant permits… only communities can grant permission.’ I am here today to help amplify the voices of my constituents who do not grant permission for this pipeline.”
“The process by which the Trudeau government approved Kinder Morgan’s plans to build a dangerous new pipeline through our community without our consent was deeply flawed and unfair. The Prime Minister broke his promise to revise the National Energy Board pipeline review process and require Kinder Morgan to resubmit its plans under this new process. His government has also threatened to use military force to facilitate construction.”
“First Nations’ and municipal governments as well as the Province deeply oppose this pipeline as British Columbians take most of the risk for little benefit. I feel it is my responsibility to do whatever I can to advocate for my community as its elected Member of Parliament, including exercising my constitutional rights.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's Happening Here

Apart from a war that kills innocent children,  my nervous system feels as though this is another war against life and living. This has been...